This simple, easy to make, KP original appetizer is absolutely scrumptious! Use the freshest tomatoes and basil you can find (perhaps from your own garden??). Also, I highly recommend breaking out the expensive, high quality extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar for this dish. Your taste buds will be so glad you did! (BTW–I ate the entire plate of this the day I made it. So much for an appetizer–it became my entire meal!)
2 pints fresh grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup high quality balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 fresh garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
1 fresh baked baguette
Additional olive oil, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large glass or metal bowl, toss tomatoes with balsamic, olive oil, garlic, and basil.
- Cover tomato mixture and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Pre heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Slice baguette diagonally into 3/4-inch slices.
- Place slices in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle additional olive oil over each piece of bread. Sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Place into oven and toast 8-12 minutes, until golden brown. (Watch it closely so it doesn’t burn.)
- Remove bread from oven. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Top each slice with a generous scoop of tomato mixture, and a dab of juices from bowl.
- Add salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- Serve right away!