Try these fresh strawberry scones from Cooking Light magazine (I only changed one thing). Scones are like sweet biscuits, and are best served fresh from the oven with hot tea.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup fresh strawberries, diced
2/3 cup strawberry yogurt
3 Tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups and level with a knife.
- Combine both flours, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Combine strawberries, yogurt, butter, almond extract, and egg white in a separate bowl.
- Add strawberry mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead lightly 4 times with floured hands.
- Pat into an 8-inch circle on a baking sheet coated with Pam cooking spray.
- Cut into 12 wedges, cutting into but not through dough.
- Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons sugar.
- Bake 20 minutes or until lightly browned.