I try to serve vegetarian meals at least once a week. Saves money and spares my family a few fat grams. Here’s a recipe for fantastic vegetarian risotto! The edamame adds a sweet, nuttiness that packs in protein. Serve as a main course with a side salad, or serve as a side dish with Simple Grilled Salmon or Sauté Prawns. Delish!
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
8 oz. fresh white button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
2 cups frozen edamame, thawed and shelled
3 cups vegetable broth, mixed with 1 1/2 cups water
1 small fresh white onion, finely chopped
1 1/3 cups arborio rice (risotto)
1/4 cup dry white wine
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- Heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft.
- Stir edamame into mushrooms and cook additional 5 minutes. Set aside and keep warm.
- Place broth and water in a medium-size saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- In another large saucepan, heat remaining Tablespoon olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add risotto and stir until risotto is coated with oil.
- Cook 1 minute, stirring often.
- Add wine and cook until wine is absorbed — about 1 minute
- Add 1/2 cup of simmering broth mixture.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring continuously, until broth is absorbed.
- Add remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, cooking in the same manner. This should take about 30 minutes total.
- Gently stir mushrooms and edamame into risotto and remove from heat.
- Stir in pepper and parmesan cheese.
- Serve immediately.